ECC Director Job 2017 – Regulations And Monitoring (GMG/SEG 3)
THE EARLY CHILDHOOD COMMISSION
The Human Resource and Administration Department is announcing the following vacancy:
Director – Regulations and Monitoring (GMG/SEG 3) – Contractual
- To maintain a comprehensive legal, regulatory and policy framework to support the
- development and implementation of early childhood programmes and services.
- To broaden awareness of the existence and purpose of the ECC and foster increased support and involvement in ECD initiatives among stakeholders.
- To ensure that systems are in place for the early identification and appropriate intervention for children and household at risk.
- To ensure a coordinated and integrated delivery of early childhood programme and services by reducing duplication and fragmentation and engendering efficient use of limited resources.
- To ensure availability of comprehensive, relevant high quality and timely information, for effective planning, policy and decision making on ECD issues.
- To ensure that the Early Childhood Commission’s human, physical and financial resources are properly managed to maximize and promote internal efficiency and effectiveness.
Purpose of Job
Under the general direction of the Executive Director and Board of Commissioners, the Director of Regulations and Monitoring has responsibility to oversee the implementation of the legal and regulatory framework as stipulated by the Early Childhood Act and Regulations and the Standards for the Operations and Management of Early Childhood Institutions. The incumbent is responsible to establish and maintain strategies, systems and programmes to ensure adequate regulation of early childhood institutions via a system of inspection. The incumbent will be a member of the executive team with responsibility to chart the strategic direction of the organization.
- Divisional Operational Plan and Budget
- Divisional Performance Targets
- Divisional Standard Operational Procedures to effect Registration and Inspection
- Monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annual divisional and performance management reports
- Inspection reports
- Reports on the status of ECIs
- Permits and certificates of registration
- Publication of gazetted ECIs
Key Responsibility Areas
- Participates in the corporate and operational planning process and develops annual divisional plans and budget for the Division of Regulation and Monitoring
- Establish and maintain mechanisms for regulation of early childhood institutions in Jamaica in keeping with the Early Childhood Act and Regulations
- Collaborates with the Communication and Sector Support Services Divisions to develop and implement strategies to promote awareness of the legal and regulatory framework for early childhood institutions
- Ensures the reproduction and dissemination of literature on the legal and regulatory framework and coordinates sensitization/training sessions to facilitate compliance.
- Oversees the inspectorate function and develops policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the standards established by the Early Childhood Act and Regulations and Standards for the Operation and Management of Early Childhood Institutions.
- Liaises with implementing partners (including the relevant line Ministries, local authorities, Fire Brigade and Public Health departments) to ensure coordination of the inspectorate process and facilitate on-going and timely communication on related issues.
- Monitors the enactment and enforcement of the Early Childhood Act and Regulations.
- Provides technical support and guidance to the Legal and Regulatory Affairs sub committee.
- Utilizes a variety of enforcement mechanisms in order to secure compliance with the law and where appropriate hold duty holders accountable for breaches of the law.
- Prepares and submits monthly, quarterly and annual reports within the stipulated timeframes and in accordance with stipulated guidelines.
- Prepares Budget estimates for approval, monitors and controls the expenditure and financial resources of the Division, ensuring efficient utilization and management.
- Provides leadership and guidance to unit managers through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching,.
- Establishes and maintains procedures for submission of recommendations to the Board of Commissioners, and formal communication of decisions of the Board to applicants, including areas of deficiency in the event of failure to meet established standards
- Establishes and maintains procedures for the submission/receipt of applications for Registration and the accurate and timely reporting to the Accounts Department of fees collected
- Liaises with Divisional heads and other key stakeholders to conduct regular review of the legal and regulatory framework, including the Regulations to the Early Childhood Act and the Standards for the Operations and Management of Early Childhood Institutions and makes recommendations for amendments.
- Liaises with the Information Technology Division to ensure the development and maintenance of automated management information systems to support the ECC’s regulatory functions.
- Represents the Early Childhood Commission at local, regional and international meetings, conferences, ceremonies and other for a as required.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Division and recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource Policies and Procedures.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares Performance Appraisal Reports and recommends corrective action where necessary
- Collaborates with the Manager Human Resources Department and Administration to develop and implement a Staff Development Plan for the Division
- Ensures the welfare of divisional staff are clearly identified and addressed.
Contacts: Internal and External Contacts
Within the ECC
|Contact Title||Purpose of Communication|
|Chairman and Commissions||Provides management information on the status of registration ECIs and receive advice and instruction|
|Executive Director||Shares information. Ascertain the availability of resources to implement programmes|
|Corporate Secretary||Shares information and receive legal advice to facilitate the preparation of legal documents|
|All other staff||Provides and receive relevant information pertaining to regulatory affairs of the organization|
Contacts external to the organization required for the achievement of the position’s objectives
|Contact Title||Purpose of Communication|
|Chief Public Health Inspector||Collaborates and shares information.Obtains feedback on the status of applications from ECIs on health and sanitation issues
|Superintendent of Fire Brigade||Collaborates and shares information.Obtains feedback on the status of applications from ECIs on health and sanitation issues|
|Line Ministries and Agencies||Obtains feedback on relevant regulatory and policy issues|
This job is satisfactorily performed when:
- Annual operational plan are prepared according to established format and within specific timeframe
- The procedures for the registration of early childhood institutions are developed and implemented
- Early childhood institutions are inspected according to prescribed standards
- Registration and inspection procedures are established according to the EC Act and Regulations.
- Inspection and status reports on each ECIs completed within specified timeframe.
- Detailed information on ECIs meeting each of the twelve standards is published and accessible to the public on an annual basis.
- Monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annual reports submitted within stipulated timeframe and according to prescribed standards
- Procedural guidelines for the inspectorate process as outlined in the Early Childhood Act and Regulations are adhered to.
- Performance targets for all staff members are established
Functional / Technical Competences
|1||Expert knowledge of the Early Childhood Act (2005) and Regulations, the Early Childhood Commission Act, and other laws and regulations governing the operation of early childhood institutions|
|2||Sound knowledge of internationally accepted standards and principles for ECD.|
|3||Working knowledge of public legislation and legislative procedures.|
|4||Working knowledge of domestic legislation governing children’s affairs.|
|5||Sound knowledge of data management systems and the use of relevant computer software, including word – processing and spreadsheet applications.|
|1||Human relations and leadership skills||4|
|2||Oral and written communication skills.||4|
|3||Planning and organizational skills.||4|
|4||Analytical Thinking skills.||4|
|5||Customer and Quality Focus||4|
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- MSc. In Early Childhood Development , Social Sciences or an equivalent qualification and
- Seven (7) years experience early childhood development or a related field with five years experience at a senior management level.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Frequent travel required both locally and overseas
- Exposure to highly confidential and sensitive information
- Represent the Commission in negotiations in framing legislation and regulations and development of protocols, procedures and partnerships for regulation of ECIs.
- Access confidential information as required to undertake assigned responsibilities.
- Process certificates of registration and permits to operate.
Remuneration: Salary Scale $2,097,527.00 – $2,493,300.00 per annum.
Written application along with detailed Curriculum Vitae should be submitted by Friday, June 9, 2017 to:
The Manager, Human Resources & Administration
The Early Childhood Commission
Shops 44-49 Kingston Mall
8-10 Ocean Boulevard, Kingston
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants; however, only persons who are shortlisted will be contacted.
|Job Category||Regulations and Monitoring|