Peace and Love Academic Scholarship (PALAS) 2017/2018
Peace and Love Academic Scholarship (PALAS), application for the 2017-2018 school year will be opened May 1, – June 10, 2017. The Board members would like to thank all those who participate in the process. PALAS awarded 384 scholarships in the past 6 years. Please continue to check this site, www.PALAS1.org for updates.
PALAS receives 350-500 applications each year to be evaluated for one of the coveted scholarships. The number of scholarships and value varies each year as it depends on the total funds donated to the program in any given year.
It is NOT a full scholarship and it is renewable each year provided you maintain at least an overall grade B or3.0/4.0 GPA. PALAS set new goals each year and work assiduously to reach the target.
The PALAS scholarship is available to students residing in the Caribbean region ONLY. All students will be required to fill out an application online, present school grades, write an essay, present community activities. Please follow instructions enclosed in requirements document.
1) All applicants will be required to write an essay of 300-500 words as to why they should receive a PALAS scholarship.
2) Maintain at least B (or 70%) grade. All students MUST include at least two MOST recent semesters/terms grades marking period. An application with anything less will not be considered.
Scan the photo, pic of the document and upload them with the application in .JPG, .PNG or .PDF format.
3) List your community activities on the application form such as; including those at school (list all relevant school extra-curricular activities), track/field and other sports, volunteering, churches, hospital, rotary club etc.
All applications MUST be signed by typing out your name or initialed on the application. If application is not signed/initialed you will lose valuable points during the evaluation process.
NOTE : Each application is graded out of a possible 30 points (10 essay, 10 grades, 5 community actvities and 5 overall package presentation with complete documentation) TIP: Your checklist of supporting documents MUST be uploaded one at a time when completing the application form.
Applicants photo ID (graduation type or passport head shot photo is MANDATORY) MUST be sent with the application in .JPG, .PNG, or .PDF format. If there are any questions regarding the application form/process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Photo in .doc format is NOT acceptable.
- For Re-Awardees currently holding PALAS scholarships, it is NOT necessary to write an essay, send new references, CSEC/CAPE certificates. If a re-awardee is doing their CSEC/CAPE for the first time, then those info MUST be sent in with your application.
- Re-Awardees MUST fill out the online application. Your info will NOT be accepted via email. Note: Please notify PALAS if you will be graduating in the current school year.
- If a re-awardee is attending university for the first time then you MUST send in your admissions letter. It is MANDATORY to fill out the application and submit your grades by June 10th. Additionally, you MUST send new photo in the format described above.
- The grades/transcript may be unofficial. However, it must be stamped by the school/University/College.NOTE: A grade B, 75% or 3.0 (4.0=A) average MUST be maintained for the entire school year. There are no exceptions to these rules. All applications MUST be signed or initialed electronically.
- For first year University students, we expect grades from at least the two (2) most recent marking periods for us to evaluate. If for whatever reason two is not readily available, please submit the last report from 6th form along with one from the university semester/term.
- Student admissions letter with your intended major, student ID# etc MUST be submitted. If there are issues, please contact PALAS. NOTE, Student ID # MUST be entered on the application form especially for university students….This is how your scholarship funds will be credited to your account at the institution.
- For references, please upload two (2) letter of recommendations. At least one (1) MUST be from your institution of learning. Other maybe from pastor, justice of the peace, professional etc.
- University/Tertiary student applicants MUST submit the name of high school attended.
- Gold Star Scholarship winners (for both High School and University) will be selected as the top standout candidate based on overall results.The student MUST exemplify an outstanding academic/community/essay along with the overall presentation of the application package to the PALAS committee. The winner will receive a tablet or laptop computer for this accomplishment along with the regular scholarship financial awards.
Peace and Love Academic Scholarship or PALAS
P.O. Box 5461
Alpharetta, GA 30023-5461
NOTE: No employee or consultant of the Peace and Love Academic Scholarship, Inc. (PALAS, Inc.) or any family member is eligible to apply. No officer or director of the PALAS, member of the Selection Committee, employee, consultant or family member of any officer, director, or member of the Selection Committee, is eligible to apply.